Windows and doors play a very important role in our homes, they provide safety & security, ventilation and light, control smell and sounds inside and outside the house, prevent insects from entering your home. Having a broken glass window or door puts the home at a high risk of an intruder entering into the house and it also affects the appearance of the house. Broken glass windows/doors can be caused by a number of factors:
- Temperature changes; Temperature changing from hot to cool or cool to hot inside and outside your home can affect window/door glasses. It makes the glass expand & contract which can break it if there is no space provided at the perimeter.
- Improper Installation; Minor damages or cracks during installation can lead to larger breaks or when the glass isn’t properly installed within the frame.
- Accidents; Minor accidents like hitting the glass with a stone, ball, or stick can break the window/door glass.
- Weather changes; heavy rains and strong wind can blow objects like tree branches, plants to the window hence breaking it.
- Weak and inadequate glass thickness. A weak or thin glass can easily be damaged by wind.
Below are the measures you can take to protect your window/door glasses from easily breaking or cracking;
- Use strong and thick glass windows/doors
- Hire experienced professionals to install windows and doors
- Install burglar proofs to protect the windows and doors and also people at home from intruders. They can be used in both residential & commercial properties.
- Measure your glass windows and frames before installation to ensure that the glass properly fits into the frames
- Install protective window film to prevent the glass from breaking.
If you have cracks in your window or door contact a professional metal fabricator/welder to determine if your window can be repaired or needs a replacement. The more the crack grows the more dangerous it becomes.