Office furniture maintenance is essential to protecting your investment, especially if you have leather or wood furniture that may require additional care. Knowing how to maintain office furniture properly means understanding how different materials should be cared for. Maintenance for wooden furniture is often different from leather furniture maintenance, for instance.
Below are some tips on office furniture maintenance, from preventive maintenance
- Rugs and mats: Use rugs and mats under chairs to prevent scratches on the floor and damage to the feet of chairs.
- Climate control: Too much heat or cold can affect office furniture. Ensure furniture is far enough from heating or cooling systems, as excess heat or cold can damage furniture.
- Furniture rules: Create a set of furniture rules. No feet on desks or chairs, no sitting on tables, no eating at your desk, and other practices can prevent furniture damage.
- Coasters: Use coasters on every desk and side table you can. Different materials react differently to heat and moisture, so coasters can help prevent damage. Use boards or dish towels when putting hot foods on breakroom tables and office desks. If you have wood furniture, this is particularly important, as heat and moisture can cause discoloration.
- Felt pads: Place felt pads under lamps, telephones, laptop stands, or other accessories that might scratch or damage furniture. Create a barrier between the paper and wooden desks. If you write hard enough, it can damage the desk.
Maintaining Office Desks and Chairs
Nearly every employee in the office uses a desk and a chair. Ensuring these pieces are properly maintained can extend their life span.
Office Desk Maintenance
One of the best ways to ensure office desks are properly maintained is to keep them clean and clutter-free. A clean and organized desk has many benefits for employees. An organized desk can positively affect employees’ productivity, mental health, and how they view each other. Implement an organized or clean desk policy that encourages staff to eat away from their desks and clear off the surface at the end of the day.
An organized desk will be easier for the janitorial team to clean. Office desks need to be dusted or wiped down weekly, regardless of the material. Use a dry cloth or duster to remove dust. If there is a build-up of dirt, use a damp cloth and a mixture of water and soap to remove it. Avoid harsh chemicals or polishing sprays, which can damage the desk’s surface, leave streaks, and ruin finishes. Check the manufacturers’ instructions when deciding which products to use.
Chairs should be cleaned every two weeks. The material the chair is made of will determine how to clean it. Leather, wood, and fabric need to be cleaned accordingly. Also, different parts of a chair may be made out of different materials, requiring specific care.
Most chairs can be wiped with a dry or damp cloth to clean dirt and dust. You can vacuum fabric and mesh chairs to remove any debris. Take care when wiping down mesh chairs — dab the cloth on the chair rather than dragging it to avoid damaging the mesh. Always follow the manufacturer’s care instructions if you need to wash fabric chairs.
Weekly and daily cleaning can help prevent odors. If the smell is persistent, there are a few tricks you can use to get rid of the odor:
- Vinegar and water: Mix equal parts water and vinegar to create a cleaning solution. Use a soft microfiber cloth to wipe down the furniture. Make sure you use slightly damp cloths on leather to prevent water damage.
- Lemon oil: This powerful cleaner can remove various smoke smells.
- Bleach and water: For more stubborn smells on plastic and vinyl, try one part bleach mixed with 10 parts water. Wipe down the furniture in a well-ventilated area and let it air dry.
- Baking soda: Get rid of smells on wood and leather furniture with baking soda. Leave the powder on overnight or over the weekend and then gently wipe it off.
- Charcoal: Put pieces of charcoal at the back of desk drawers to absorb any odors.
- Commercial cleaner: Look for commercial cleaners specifically for furniture if the other methods cannot remove the odor.
For more professional help contact us on 0701828873 WhatsApp /0777708899 #visit our app HCMHUBAPP